Skip to main content

Book Review: Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies #1), Isaac Marion

Warm Bodies


Title: Warm Bodies
Series: Warm Bodies
Author: Isaac Marion
Published: 2013 (originally 2010), Vintage Books
Pages: 239
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4.5/5
R is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he is a little different from his fellow dead. And then he meets a girl. First as his prisoner, then as his reluctant guest, Julie is a blast of colour in R's grey landscape, and something inside him begins to bloom. He doesn't want to eat her, he wants to protect her. He wants to breathe again. He wants to live. This unlikely bond will cause transformations they can't imagine, but their hopeless world won't change without a fight.

I really liked (almost loved) Warm Bodies.  It is the first zombie book that I've read.  However, it doesn't always seem like it is a zombie book.  R rarely eats any humans throughout the story.  I went into it expecting something similar to Twilight (the whole teenage girl falls for supernatural being/dead person).  I couldn't have been more wrong!!  Warm Bodies is brilliantly funny and quirky.  And R's narration is just plain hilarious, for example:

"I am Dead, but it's not so bad. I've learned to live with it." 

and: 

"She is Living and I'm Dead, but I'd like to believe that we are both human. Call me an idealist."

and: 

"I would like my life to be a movie so I could cut to a montage."

I really liked R.  He is just such as sweet guy and has such a unique point of view.  To put it simply, he's different from the other zombies and he's very much aware of it.  He was desperate not to be a zombie and he really wanted to change.  R's character also developed quite uniquely - at the beginning he could barely say one word but his speech gradually improves as the story progresses.

I also quite liked Julie.  She isn't the cleverest of people but she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty and fight a few zombies.  Of course, there are times when she is too terrified to move but who wouldn't be when faced with Boneys.

Also, the Biology geek in me loved the anatomical drawings at the beginning of each paragraph.  I would literally sit and study them for ages before starting each chapter.

I did occasionally get a bit confused when Perry would cut into the story with his memories and thoughts.  But reading them again cleared this up.

Overall, I really, really liked Warm Bodies and can't wait for the sequel.  I'm also going to look into getting a copy of The New Hunger - the prequel to Warm Bodies.  I can definitely see myself re-reading Warm Bodies in the future.

Also, I watched the film and loved it.  This part isn't in the book but I giggled far too much at it:







Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookTwitterBloglovin and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. Great review. I read this book last year and loved it. It’s so funny.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks. Yeah it's really funny, R comes out with some great one-liners!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this book as well. It was pleasantly surprising. I do like regular zombies stories but the cute, weirdness of this love story was a lot of fun. I was expecting something silly but it was just great entertainment.

    Cayt @ Vicarious Caytastrophe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first zombie book I've read so it was a nice (and quite sweet) introduction to the genre. I may read more in the future if I can find the time.

      Delete
  3. I've seen the movie, but I haven't come across a copy of the book. I'll have to look for one. I typically enjoy books more than films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one where I can never decide if I like the book or movie better. They're both brilliant!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.