Skip to main content

Book Beginnings, the Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (1 May)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by Rose City Reader where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.
The Selection (The Selection, #1)

My Book Beginning is from The Selection by Kiera Cass:
"When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.  She had already decided that all our problems were solved, gone forever.  The big hitch in her plan was me."


The Friday 56 is a meme hosted every Friday by Freda's Voice.
The Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url.
*It's that simple.

My Friday 56 is also from 56% of The Selection by Kiera Cass:
"I didn't have time to dwell on my worries.  Maxon's firm knock came only minutes later."

Increase Blog Followers
The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee’s View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs!

The featured blogs this week are Gizzimomo's Book Shelf and Paperback Opinion.

bloglovinGFCThis week’s Question:
How do you cure a book hangover/blogging slump/reading slump?

When I have a book hangover I usually spend a day or too not reading just to get over it, or I may try and read something completely different.
With a reading slump, I will watch a movie or TV show for a bit, or read some reviews.  That always seems to get me in the mood to read again.
I've not had a blogging slump yet *touches wood* but I've only been blogging 2 months so I daresay I will definitely be getting back to you on this one.


 Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookBloglovin and Pinterest (though I’m not very good at using it) and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. A decent opener, though I think I would need a bit more before deciding to read it or not. My Book Beginning this week is here: http://www.bookpunks.com/so-it-begins-this-is-the-way-the-world-ends-by-james-morrow/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I wasn't sure if I would like it but it was a really enjoyable read.

      Delete
  2. I went through an almost year long reading slump. I had stuck myself in the suspense/thriller genre, veering only here and there with something different, and suddenly, I didn't want to pick up a book. After that almost year, my sister handed me a cozy mystery and I haven't stopped since. My genre of choice at the time was weighing too heavy one me. Too dark.
    Please visit mine here ... http://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand what you mean, changing your reading up a bit definitely helps to avoid any slumps.
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Great suggestions! I LOVE pinterest. Will follow you there, and on Bloglovin' too! :D Happy Friday! My FF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading reviews can get me pumped for a book so I'll be inspired to read it!

    Lizzie @ lizziethesarcasticblonde.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely how I feel when I read a great review!
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. I think taking a break is a great idea. New GFC follower! Jazmen@ThisGirlReadsAlot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, breaks definitely help. It always makes me want to read more when I get back into it.
      Thanks for following!

      Delete
  6. Great opening. I'd keep reading to find out what problems they have and why the daughter is a "hitch" in solving them. The Friday56 excerpt makes me curious about her worries. The Selection sounds like a book I'd enjoy.
    My Friday post features MIDDLE-AGED CRAZY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good. I enjoyed it so much and far more than I expected. It was such a nice surprise!
      Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  7. Awwww.....being the hitch in the plan certainly doesn't sound good for this character.

    I hope it is good.

    ENJOY!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is really good. I really enjoyed myself whilst reading it!
      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  8. Reading reviews is a great idea. New recommendations always help! New follower on Bloglovin' :)

    Claire @ Book Blog Bird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, recommendations always get me in the mood to read but they are incredibly bad for my bank account!
      Thanks for following!

      Delete
  9. So you're lucky like me and yeah you're right about the reviews!


    My FF: bookstopcorner.blogspot.in/2015/05/feature-follow-11-my-ways-to-get-over.html

    Old Follower

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading reviews is a fabway to spark your interest again, it's great advice!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm a new GFC, Bloglovin and Facebook follower

    My FFF  - Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, reading them always gets my interest going (and my bank account struggling...).
      Thanks for visiting and following!

      Delete
  11. The Selection is on my wish list!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.