Skip to main content

Book review: Dracula, Bram Stoker

Dracula

Title: Dracula
Author: Bram Stoker
Published: I June 2008, Oxford University Press (originally 26 May 1897)
Pages: 389
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 5/5
In 1897, at the age of 50, Bram Stoker was a touring manager to the actor Henry Irving and was enjoying a modest success as a journalist and writer. Publication in that year of Dracula was to bring him international fame. The Dracula mythology has inspired a cast subculture, but the story has never been better told than by Stoker. His myth is powerful because it allows evil to remain mysterious. Virtuous action has no more impact than Jonathan Harker's shovel. The high virtue of Lucy can simply be drained away, as her blood is drained away, until she too joins the vampire brood. Van Helsing's high-thinking and scientific skill cannot resist the dreadful potency of the undead. Only the old magic - a crucifix, garlic, a wooden stake - can provide effective weapons against the Count's appalling power.

I absolutely loved Dracula. Although I found it quite a difficult read, it is now one of my favourites. I've also found it quite hard to write this review because it's such a classic. It's why it has taken me so long to get this posted - I finished reading it weeks ago.

Dracula is told mainly via the diary entries of Jonathan Harker, Mina Murray, Dr John Seward, Lucy Westenra and Dr Van Helsing. This helps to build up a complete picture of what occurs and shows clearly how each character contributes to the investigation. The narration, in essence, left no stone unturned. In places the plot was quite slow, i.e. when a character was travelling, but it was also fast at points too. The language was at times quite difficult to get my head round but it was written beautifully. Like many of the old classics the description was unreal.

I liked all the characters. I really liked how Mina was portrayed as being rather clever and that this lead to the men actively including her in the investigation. Jonathan is extremely brave to help the others investigate especially after the experience he had in Transylvania. I see Van Helsing as a older and wise grandfather/father-type figure to the others. He is extremely clever and guides the others perfectly. I felt extremely sorry for Arthur, Seward and Quincey. They all loved Lucy in their own way and had to witness her deteriorate in front of them from a then unknown cause.

Count Dracula is a fantastic villain. I feel that you never completely learn his plan, other than moving to England, so this makes him even more frightening and mysterious.

I would definitely recommend Dracula to everyone - especially those who love the Classics. Although it took me ages to read and I did struggle in places I really do count Dracula as one of my favourites now.




Follow me via Goodreads, Facebook, Bloglovin and Pinterest and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.

Feel free to leave a comment

Comments

  1. Great review. I really need to read this book someday. I’ve been putting it off because I’ve heard it’s difficult.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it! I did find it difficult but I couldn't put it down.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'm Looking Forward to in 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is five books I'm looking forward to in the first half of 2017. Only five because I'm rubbish at planning ahead when it come to new releases.