Skip to main content

Book Review: Woman of the Dead (Blum Trilogy #1), Bernhard Aichner

Woman of the Dead

Title: Woman of the Dead
Series: Blum Trilogy #1
Author: Bernhard Aichner
Published: 12 April 2015 (originally 14 October 2014), Orion Publishing Ltd
Pages: 258
Source: Goodreads Firstreads
Format: Hardback
Rating: 4/5
How far would you go to avenge the one you love?
Blum has a secret buried deep in her past. She thought she'd left the past behind. But then Mark, the man she loves, dies.
His death looks like a hit-and-run. It isn't a hit and run. Mark was killed by the men he was investigating. And then, suddenly, Blum rediscovers what she's capable of...
Kill Bill meets Dexter via The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Woman of the Dead is a wild ride of a thriller where the first stage of grief is revenge. And revenge is a dish best served bloody.

I really enjoyed Woman of the Dead. Once again it is the first time I've read this type of thriller/mystery and I can definitely say I will read more of them. I haven't watched/read any of the shows/films/books that Woman of the Dead has been compared (yet) to so I've no idea if they are great comparisons. Though I have a gut feeling that they may be quite similar.

The events of Woman of the Dead are told in the third person point of view following the character Blum. You are with Blum the whole time as she figures out who each of the men are. Therefore, we don't really get to much insight into what the other characters are thinking and this adds to the mystery. I also felt that the twists to the story added to it's unpredictable nature and I was completely taken by surprise when the identity of the final man was revealed. The conclusion was definitely climatic and everything tied together nicely. I was sitting on the edge of my seat as I read.

The chapters were also quite short - around 4 to six pages but some as short as 2 pages. This gave the illusion that it was fast paced yet still included great descriptions. Woman of the Dead was also a fairly easy read as the language used was quite basic and easily understood. This is probably due to the translation of the story from German.

I also had an odd experience with the character Blum. I really liked her yet she was a complete and utter psycho. Her secret, which is actually revealed in the prologue, is something I found really shocking. And her revenge is just so gruesome (and brilliantly described). Her job as an undertaker also provides her with the resources to commit the perfect act of revenge in quite a terrifying manner. Yet it is clear that Blum has so much love for her husband, Mark, and children, Uma and Nela. She is devastated when Mark is killed and is almost comatose in the days following his death. It is clear that Blum has amazing support behind her during this tough time, especially from her father-in-law, Karl, who helps take care of the children despite his old age and her assistant, Reza, who keeps her business running whilst she grieves.

I would definitely recommend Woman of the Dead. Particularly to those who love a good thriller/mystery.



Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookBloglovin and Pinterest and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com. 


Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I love a good mystery, and I am a fan of revenge reads. So, I'm going to look into this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should, it's such a good read.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread 2016 Releases

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is my ten 2016 releases I meant to read but didn't get to.