Skip to main content

Book Review: War Horse (War Horse #1), Michael Morpurgo

War Horse

Title: War Horse
Series: War Horse #1
Author: Michael Morpurgo
Published: 06/08/2007, Egmont Press
Pages: 182
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 3/5
"War Horse" is the story of Joey, a thoroughbred horse, and how he is forced into the thick of the harrowing, poorly-led battles of First World War.

War Horse is a wonderful children's book and I really wish I had read it when I was younger. I feel I would have liked it a lot more although it was still an enjoyable and interesting read.

War Horse is Joey's story from Joey's point of view and this is gives such a unique aspect to the story. It gives a completely different insight into World War I and you don't often hear of how an animal suffers during war. Joey's viewpoint also showed how quickly things could change during the war. He himself experiences the war from both sides and to him the English and the Germans don't seem different at all. To Joey there was no wrong side of the war. Work was work and Joey would have happily worked for either side along as he was treated with dignity.

War Horse is a pretty fast paced novel with four years of war condensed into 182 pages. There was always something major happening and this meant it was a very fast read. However, I do think some parts could have been fleshed out a bit more.For instance, characters would appear and then disappear again in, what felt like, an instant.

I feel that War Horse is a nice introduction to war and loss for children. I would definitely recommend War Horse to children around the age of 9 to 12. It's simple and puts a difficult subject into an easy to read format for younger reads. It was perhaps to simple for me but I would have absolutely loved this if I had read it when I was younger. This isn't the first Michael Morpurgo book I have read but it has been years and I'm to sure whether I will read one again - I now feel too old for them.

COYER Scavenger Hunt #55: Read a book featuring an animal prominently in the story.


Michael Morpurgo / Goodreads


Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookBloglovin and Pinterest and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com. 

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. Oh now I want to read this. I loved Michael Morpurgo when I was younger, The Butterfly Lion was the first book I remember reading on my own (I now have a signed copy!) and Private Peaceful made me cry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a brilliant children's book and he truly is an amazing author. I too remember reading Michael Morpurgo when I was younger but I cannot for the life of me remember what ones I read!

      Delete
  2. Is this the one they made into a movie? I saw a movie similar at least and it was really good. I can see how it might be too young for me, but I'm going to put it on a list for a young reader in my family - he's 9 and really loves both history and animals. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is the one that was adapted into a movie, I've not seen it but my parents have and absolutely loved it. It's also a West End play too. I'm sure your 9 year old would love it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesdays: Summer Reads

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is top ten great beach/summer reads. I will read anything at any time of the year and I haven't been near a beach in six years so I'm just going to make a top ten of books I plan to read in the next month or so. Of course, there is a high probability that his may change slightly.

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread 2016 Releases

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is my ten 2016 releases I meant to read but didn't get to.