Skip to main content

Book Review: The Rose Petal Beach, Dorothy Koomson

The Rose Petal Beach

Title: The Rose Petal Beach
Author: Dorothy Koomson
Published: 2013, Quercus
Pages: 663
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4/5
Every love story has a dangerous twist.
Tamia Challey is horrified when her husband, Scott, is accused of something terrible - but when she discovers who his accuser is, everything goes into freefall. Backed into a corner and unsure what to think, Tamia is forced to choose who she instinctively believes But this choice has dire consequences for all concerned, especially when matters take a tragic turn.
Then a stranger arrives in town to sprinkle rose petals in the sea in memory of her lost loved one. This stranger carries with her shocking truths that will change the lives of everyone she meets, and will once again force Tamia to make some devastating choices...

I cannot believe it has taken me so long to read The Rose Petal Beach! I have owned this book for years! It is a wonderful mystery/thriller with so many twists that just had me turning the pages. It is packed full of so many different topics such as murder, rape, cancer and divorce! For being nearly 700 pages long, I actually read the majority of this book in one day.

The Rose Petal Beach is set in the UK seaside town of Brighton. And though I've never been near Brighton, it did feel very real. In fact, this story could have been set in any British seaside town. And I feel this related very well to the characters lives, as well as how they came to be in Brighton.

The characters were all fairly likeable and I found I could connect pretty well with most of them. Of course, the story is a mystery so you're never sure who to trust, but the way it is written makes you want to trust all of them. I really felt for the main character, Tami. Her whole life just falls apart overnight and she is forced into so many difficult situations.

The Rose Petal Beach is told from the alternating first-person perspective of the various female characters involved in the story. They all interconnect right from the very start. Most of the characters already know each other. And due to the multiple perspectives, I didn't find the story predictable at all! In fact, The Rose Petal Beach is packed full of extremely unpredictable plot twists that I didn't see coming at all. And this, together with the fast pace of the story, meant I struggled to put the book down (when I really should have!).

And the ending was so unexpected too! It completely threw me! However, I also found that all the plot points were tied up very nicely with most explained as best as a mystery can be.

The Rose Petal Beach is a brilliant thriller that I would recommend to everyone. It is just packed to the brim with so many different plot twists. I cannot wait to read more by Dorothy Koomson (this being my second read after The Ice Cream Girls).




Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram, and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread 2016 Releases

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is my ten 2016 releases I meant to read but didn't get to.