Skip to main content

Book Review: The Crown (The Selection #5), Kiera Cass

The Crown (The Selection, #5)

Title: The Crown
Series: The Selection #5
Author: Kiera Cass
Published: 03/05/2016, HarperCollins Publishers
Pages: 278
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Rating: 2.5/5
Keira Cass's #1 New York Times bestselling Selection series has captured the hearts of readers from its very first page. Now the end of the journey is here. Prepare to be swept off your feet by The Crown - the eagerly awaited, wonderfully romantic fifth and final book in the Selection series.
In The Heir, a new era dawned in the world of The Selection. Twenty years have passed since America Singer and Prince Maxon fell in love, and their daughter is the first princess to hold a Selection of her own.
Eadlyn didn't think she would find a real partner among the Selection's thirty-five suitors, let alone true love. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you... and now Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more difficult - and more important - than she ever expected.

After nearly two years, I have finally finished The Selection series! Whilst an apt ending to the series, I found that The Crown did leave me slightly disappointed. It is both a fun and a quick read, but I just couldn't connect with the story as much as I'd have liked to.

I liked Eadlyn far more in The Crown than I did in The Heir. She puts her upbringing aside and really begins to understand her people. Basically, the events in The Heir have made her less snobby and she's not as bratty either. I just found her more open-minded and nice in general.

I did really like most of the boys left in The Selection too, particularly Kile. However, I wish there was more interaction between Eadlyn and the boys. I feel The Crown focussed more on the politics of running a country as well as preparing Eadlyn for becoming Queen.

The Crown is once again told from Eadlyn's perspective. Although this was nice, especially seeing Eadlyn become nicer, I didn't really feel I was connecting with her. Particularly in terms of her choice in The Selection. I completely missed any signs of who she eventually chose, so I found it such a surprise and a bit of a shock too. I just didn't see where Eadlyn and her choice made their connection. And, I was really annoyed with her choice too! But I'm not going to give anything away.

Of course, The Crown was not without additional twists and turns, especially with the involvement of Marid. It added some more excitement to what could have potentially been a simple and, even, boring story. However, I did find that a few of the twists were left hanging at the end. I feel like there could have been more closure with Marid. So, this did leave me feeling a bit dissatisfied.

So far, my review does seem fairly negative. However, I really did enjoy the story and could not put The Crown down. I needed to know how Eadlyn's part of the story would end and if she would succeed as Queen. It just so happened to go in a different direction to what I expected or wanted.

The Crown is a good read and it is a nice ending to The Selection series. If I'm honest, like many others, I do prefer the original trilogy. However, I would still recommend The Crown to those thinking of finishing the series. I'd just advise caution.




Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovin, and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.